Election for 2020/2021 FWMP Board of Directors
2020 ANNUAL MEETING POSTPONED AND
TIME TO ELECT THE 2020-21 BOARD
The Covid-19 pandemic has put a damper in our daily lives...to say the least. I am hoping you are all managing your time of increased isolation and physical distancing. If you have been hiking out at the park, you have undoubtedly noticed the increase in the numbers of hikers and runners. Many more families and friends are taking advantage of one of the few permissible activities during this time. I highly recommend you take advantage of this enjoyable and safe way to get some exercise and fresh air, be with nature, and gain some peace of mind. With over 11 miles of trail, even when the parking
lots are full, we still run into very few people making the hiking a safe activity. Remarkably, even with the increased usage of the park, there has been very little damage or littering. I want to thank all of you for your help and support in keeping the park safe and clean, whether you are an active volunteer or just one of those members who bring a
bag with you to pick up litter.
The coronavirus pandemic has also caused us to postpone the 20th annual meeting. We were looking forward to planning a special celebration to honor our twentieth year. We will be announcing a new date when we are able. However, we still need to hold an election. The board has recommended that we hold the election online and for those who do not have internet access we will send ballots through the mail. All votes must be cast by 11:59 p.m. on April 15. We will announce the results to the membership soon after.
Thank you for your understanding and participation.
The following slate of nominees is proposed. The term continues for Director-at-Large Rick Lehtinen (2021).
If you wish to write in a name as an alternative, there will be a place on the ballot for you to do so.
Thank you to the Nominating Committee, Jay Mosley (chair), Rick Lehtinen and Cathy Herms.
President, Cathy Herms (1st term)
– Since her first hike in 1997, Cathy has recognized the amazing natural resources in WMP. She does research on weeds and invasive plants and grant writing at OARDC, and uses those skills to benefit the park.
Vice-President, Jay Mosley (1st term)
– Jay is a hydrologist and registered civil engineer, with 30+ years of experience in civil and environmental consulting. Jay began using the park in the early 70’s, and appreciates the value of preserving its habitats and resources.
Secretary, Edith Swank (19th term)
– Edith has kindly served as Secretary since the FWMP Board was created in 2002, and is continually inspired by the wonders of the park. She is a retired middle school teacher of language arts in Holmes County.
Treasurer, John Parker (15th term)
– John has kindly served as treasurer since 2006. He is a retired Transportation HR/ Safety Director, a board member for the Wooster Exchange Club, and hikes the park every week.
Director-at-Large (2022), Shelley Schrier
– Shelley is a retired school psychologist from Wooster City Schools and Buckeye Local Schools, and an avid WMP hiker. He will be completing the last two years of this position vacated by Jay Mosley.
Director-at-Large (2023), Niklas Manz
– Niklas is a physicist at the College of Wooster and discovered the WMP the first month after moving to Wooster five years ago. Since then, he enjoys hiking, running, and volunteering in the park.
Wishing that you all stay safe and healthy and maintain peace of mind during these trying times.
Shelley Schrier, Pres. FWMP